This codfish meatballs -or fishballs- are a nice and tasty alternative to the usual meatballs.
The mixture is done quite similarly to the meat ones, with the exception of adding the lemon and the bread soaked in milk instead of breadcrumbs.
This last method can also be used with meatballs, the difference is that the bread soaked in milk will give much more softness and moistness to the mixture (which is not much needed for meatballs but in this case with breadcrumbs the fishballs would become pretty dry).
Enjoy this fishballs as main coarse, appetizer, side dish or as fingerfood at your party!
They are better served warm or tepid.
- 2 Codfish fillets, about 180-200g
- 2 Bread slices
- 1/2 glass Milk
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice or Zest
- 1 Egg
- 1 clove Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- In a blender put the codfish already cut in chunks, the egg, the lemon juice/zest and the garlic clove (better if already mashed). Blend everything for a few seconds until the fish is well cut but not reduced in cream.
- Meanwhile soak the pieces of bread in milk until it absorbs it completely. squeeze the bread to drain the milk in excess and add it to the fish mixture. Blend a few more seconds to merge the ingredients then transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper. With your hands make the balls about 5 cm wide and roll them indo the breadcrumbs until they're well coated.
- Deep fry the fish-balls in vegetable frying oil until golden brown, then let them rest on kitchen paper to absorb the oil in excess.
- Serve with various sauces (garlic sauce, tzatziki, cocktail sauce, etc.) with a side of fresh salad.