Arancini are a Sicilian typical street food which consist in stuffed rice balls then breaded and fried.
It is a traditonal specialty dated probably to the Medieval times and the name Arancini (Little Oranges) is given for its particular shape and golden colors which remind of little oranges.
The classic Arancino is made with zafferano rice and filled with ragù (Italian traditional meat and tomato sauce), peas and sometimes cheese.
But nowadays Arancini are made with every kind of stuffing and variations (around 100 variations can be found).
Great as finger food for a party or as a hearty meal, they are better tasted warm.
This is one of my favorite combinations, together with mozzarella and prosciutto. Yum!
Salmon and Zucchini Arancini (Fried Rice Balls)2015-07-27 17:54:38Serves 5Write a reviewPrep Time10 minCook Time30 minTotal Time40 minPrep Time10 minCook Time30 minTotal Time40 minIngredients
- Risotto Rice 200g (1 cup)
- Canned Salmon 125g (1/2 cup)
- Zucchini 1
- EVO Oil
- Butter 50g (1/4 cup)
- Egg 1
- Salt, Pepper
- Vegetable Oil for fryingInstructions
- In a large pot bring to boil salted water and boil the rice until becomes tender but not mushy.(around 10-12 minutes, but it depends on the type of rice).
- Drain the rice and add the butter so it doesn't become sticky. Set aside to cool down.In the meanwhile, prepare the filling
- Chop finely the zucchini and brown them in a pan with olive oil. Add only salt and pepper and cook until they become tender (5-10 minutes).
- At the end add the salmon and mix well, taste and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Take a full tablespoon of rice and with wet hands press it on your palm to make a large disc. Put some filling in the middle and close the disc to make a ball. Press it gently with both hands until it is well pressed and completely close. Set aside and make all the arancini this way.
- In a small plate beat the egg and in another small plate put the breadcrumbs. Dip the rice balls in the egg then coat well with the breadcrumbs and set aside again. Do this for all the arancini.
- In the meanwhile bring the vegetable oil to temperature.
- Fry the arancini until golden brown and place on kitchen paper to absorb the oil in excess.
- Serve with some sauces to dip them in, such as cocktail sauce or garlic sauce.Cooking My Dreams http://cookingmydreams.com/