A creamy sauce with 4 different Italian kinds of cheese, in which the special guest star is always Gorgonzola. This is the Italian version of mac&cheese and it’s so delicious! A staple comfort food for any day of the year.
Growing up, the four cheese pasta was one of my favorite dishese; it was a sort of comfort food for me. It’s a sort of Italian style mac&cheese. And if you love mac&cheese you know what I mean.
My grandma used to do it with whichever cheese she had in the fridge, but Gorgonzola was never missing of course.
Since the cheeses and the proportion always changed, the sauce always had a slightly different taste, but was always super creamy an delicious with a hint of Gorgonzola, and this was enough for me.
Gorgonzola is what brings all the different flavors together. It’s what gives the sauce the Italian kick which differentiates it from any other sauce. But of course, if you despite Gorgonzola or any other Blue cheese, feel free to avoid it and replace it which anything else you like.
Pasta or Gnocchi
I remember me and my father going to a local restaurant for his birthday. Every year the same restaurant and every year we ordered the same meal: He would order spaghetti Carbonara and I would order 4 cheese gnocchi.
Those four cheese gnocchi were the best dish I ever tasted in a restaurant. It was so tasty and delicate at the same time. I dreamt about it all year long.
I must say that the creamy sauce coats gnocchi much better than pasta. Their soft texture go perfectly with the sauce.
So I can recommend you to try this sauce as well with homemade potato gnocchi (you can use the potato gnocchi base recipe from my Potato Gnocchi or Potato Gnocchi stuffed with Gorgonzola).
As I mentioned above, you can try the 4 cheese sauce with various cheeses combinations, but the Gorgonzola must always be there!
Four Cheese Pasta
- 6.5 oz Short Pasta
- 1 cup Milk or Cream
- 1 tsp Butter
- 2 tsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Gorgonzola
- 2 tbsp Gruyere, grated
- 2 tbsp Parmigiano, grated
- 1 tbsp Soft Cheese, such as Brie, Stracchino, Taleggio, cream cheese, etc
- Black Pepper
- Bring to boil a pot of salted water and toss the pasta in. Follow the pasta cooking directions.
- In the meanwhile in a saucepan melt the butter and mix in the flour to make a roux. Cook for a minute or two, then add the room temperature milk or cream. Mix with a wooden spoon until the roux is completely melted.
- Turn down the heat and add all the grated cheeses. Let the cheeses melt and stir once in a while to make sure they don't stick to the pan.
- Add black pepper (salt may not be necessary, but taste just to make sure) and if the sauce is too thick, add some more milk.
- Stir thoroughly until you have a smooth cream, drain the pasta al dente and add it to the sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
It is really quick and easy and if you love cheese you’ll definitely love this!
Did you try different combination of cheese? Let me know in a comment!
If you like this recipe, you can leave a comment and a star rating to support me. ★★★★★
Thank you so much!