Growing up, the four cheese pasta was one of my favorite dishese; it was a sort of comfort food for me.
My grandma used to do it with whichever cheese she had in the fridge, but Gorgonzola was never missing of course.
Since the cheeses and the proportion always changed, the sauce always had a slightly different taste, but was always super creamy an delicious with a hint of Gorgonzola, and this was enough for me.
Pasta or Gnocchi
I remember me and my father going to a local restaurant for his birthday. Every year the same restaurant (until it went out of business) and every year we ordered the same meal: He would order spaghetti Carbonara and I would order 4 cheese gnocchi.
Those four cheese gnocchi were the best dish I ever tasted in a restaurant. The 4 cheese sauce was so tasty and delicate at the same time. I dreamt about it all year long.
I must say that the 4 cheese sauce coats gnocchi much better than pasta. Their soft texture go perfectly with the sauce.
So I can recommend you to try this sauce as well with homemade potato gnocchi (you can use the potato gnocchi base recipe from my Potato Gnocchi or Potato Gnocchi stuffed with Gorgonzola).
As I mentioned above, you can try the 4 cheese sauce with various cheeses combinations, but the Gorgonzola must always be there!
Four Cheese Pasta
- 180 g about 2 cups Short Pasta
- 250 ml 1 cup Milk or Cream
- 2 tbsp Gorgonzola
- 2 tbsp Gruyere grated
- 2 tbsp Parmigiano grated
- 1 tbsp soft cheese such Brie, Stracchino, Taleggio, cream cheese, etc
- Black Pepper
- Bring to boil a pot of salted water and toss the pasta in. Follow the pasta cooking directions.
In the meanwhile in a saucepan warm up the milk or cream. Turn down the heat and add all the grated cheeses. Let the cheeses melt and stir once in a while to make sure they don't stick to the pan.
- Add black pepper (salt may not be necessary, but taste just to make sure) and if the sauce is too thick, add some more milk.
- Stir thoroughly until you have a smooth cream, drain the pasta al dente and add it to the sauce.
- Serve immediately.