There are some day when all I crave is melted cheese. Melted cheese everywhere. And what is one of the things that pairs exceptionally well with cheese? Yes. Potatoes.
When I think of comfort food, cheese is the first thing that comes to my mind. Seriously, is there even anything more comforting than melted cheese? The awesome thing about cheese is that there are so many different types that you can never get bored of it. It has an extensive spectrum of flavors, from the mild Mozzarella, to the tangy Camembert, to the strong blue cheese and even more.
Just think that Italy has more than 450 different types of cheese and France is believed to have around 1000 different types of cheese (most of which are the smelliest cheeses ever existed).
Every Country has its own version of cheese and potatoes. Italy has “Gattò di patate” with is a mashed potato pie filled with mozzarella and ham; Switzerland has “Raclette” , melted cheese which is often accompanied with potatoes; France has “Gratin Dauphinoise” which is basically scalloped potatoes with crème fraîche; Canada has Poutine which is French fries with cheese curds and gravy: and many many more.
This recipe is based on scalloped potatoes with the additional of the Italian touch of Mozzarella and Parmigiano cheese, which makes them even more cheesy and delicious.
There’s something about that golden crust and that stringy melted cheese that makes me salivate everytime I think about it.
- 500g (1 lb) Potatoes
- 300ml (1+1/4 cups) Whole Milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Heavy Cream
- 1 Mozzarella
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large pan pour the milk and heavy cream and bring to simmer, then add the potatoes previously peeled and sliced. Add the salt, pepper, ground nutmeg and cook for about 5 minutes with low heat.
- Rub the butter all over a casserole or baking dish, then pour half of the potatoes along with the milk and cream. Tear apart pieces of mozzarella cheese with your hands and sprinkle all over the potatoes, then cover with another layer of potatoes and cream.
- As last layer, cover the surface with grated Parmesan cheese for an extra crispy gratin.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 180°C (375°F) or until golden on top.
- Serve piping hot!
- If you want to make it even more Italian, try adding a couple of tablespoons of Gorgonzola cheese sprinkled together with the Mozzarella.
- What is your favorite cheese+potatoes recipes?
- Does your Country have a traditional cheese and potatoes dish?
Let me know in the comments!