A low-carb and keto option for your aperitivo snack or as a nice appetizer or even light lunch. These mini eggplant pizzas are really easy to make, they're ready in 30 minutes and they're so flavorful! You will not miss the pizza dough at all, trust me!
Eggplants are a staple ingredient in Italy and you can find them in many traditional recipes. The most famous is perhaps the Eggplant Parmigiana, a layered fried eggplant with tomato sauce, Mozzarella cheese, and Parmigiano cheese.
The combination of flavors between the eggplant, tomato sauce, and mozzarella is so good that we make many variations of it. From grilled Eggplant Parmigiana, to Pasta with Eggplant and Mozzarella to these mini pizzas.
These eggplant mini pizza are not a traditional Italian recipe per se, but if you ask around you'll be surprised to see that many mothers and grandmas all around Italy make them sometimes.
How to make mini Eggplant Pizza
They're really easy to make, once you make them you'll ask yourself why haven't you made them before!
- First, you need to cut the eggplant into round slices about 1 cm thick (⅜ inch), then with a sharp knife score a grid on top (don't cut all the way through).
- Season with oil and salt, then bake the eggplant slices for about 15 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
- Remove from the oven and add the tomato sauce and mozzarella on each slice.
- Add back to the oven and cook another 10-15 minutes.
That's it! Doesn't it seems simple enough?
Which tomato sauce should I use?
Ok, so, if you had pizza before, you might have noticed that one thing that really makes a difference between good pizza and bad pizza is the tomato sauce.
The perfect tomato sauce for pizza shouldn't be too sweet, nor too acidic, nor too salty or seasoned.
For this eggplant pizza, just like any other pizza, you can use any tomato sauce you like, just make sure it's good quality and has a good taste.
You really have 3 major options here:
- Buy pre-made pizza sauce (not recommended).
- Buy a good quality plain tomato sauce and season it yourself (see recipe below)
- Buy fresh Roma tomatoes and make the tomato sauce from scratch (recommended for the best taste). You can check my Puff Pastry Mini Pizza post if you want to make the tomato sauce yourself.
Mini Eggplant Pizzas
- 1 large Eggplant
- ½ cup Tomato sauce, plain
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ tablespoon Olive Oil, extra virgin
- ⅛ teaspoon Oregano, dried
- ½ Mozzarella
- Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cut the eggplant into round slices about 1 cm thick (⅜ inch), then with a sharp knife score a grid on top (don't cut all the way through).
- Place the slices on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some salt on each slice.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tomato sauce. In a bowl, add the plain tomato sauce, then add the ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ tablespoon of good olive oil and ⅛ teaspoon of dried Oregano. Mix well and set aside. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove the tray from the oven, then add 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on each slice and a piece of Mozzarella cheese.
- Return the eggplant to the oven and bake another 10-15 minutes.
- The eggplants and the mozzarella will make a lot of water, don’t worry, it’s normal. Just lift the slices with a spatula and place them on a plate before serving.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
If you like this recipe, you can leave a comment and a star rating to support me. ★★★★★
Thank you so much!