This Creamy Zucchini Pasta is a super quick and delicious pasta dish that requires only 5 ingredients and it's ready in less than 20 minutes! A perfect weeknight dinner recipe for the whole family.
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, that's why we grow them every year in our garden, so to have a stash already available to use in many different ways. It's super versatile and it has a mild yet delicious flavor that goes so well with cheese, meat, fish, pasta, and much more.
Zucchini and pasta are a classic combination and one that I use the most. Especially when I'm in a hurry and need a quick meal, either with or without cream, is one of my favorite dishes. My mom uses to make big batches of sauce and then blend it smooth and freeze it in small portions to have it available all year round even when zucchini season is over.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Zucchini. Any variety of zucchini will work fine in this recipe. I also grow in my garden different varieties every year and enjoy them in all the zucchini recipes. Check this post on the different zucchini varieties.
- Spaghetti. I love spaghetti with this recipe, but feel free to use any other pasta shape you like, either long or short.
- Cream. I like to use heavy cream for pasta recipes, but you can also use light cream, half and half, or plant-based cream to make this recipe vegan.
- Garlic. Garlic gives a depth of flavor to the zucchini, but you can also skip it entirely if you don't like it.
Instructions with photos
Step 1. First, bring to boil a large pot of salted water, and in the meanwhile, chop the zucchini into matchsticks. In a pan, drizzle some olive oil and add the peeled and halved garlic cloves.
Step 2. When they start to sizzle, add the zucchini and sautè at high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the zucchini starts to brown, then turn down the heat. Season with salt and black pepper.
Step 3. Meanwhile, toss the pasta in boiling water and cook according to the packaging instructions. Add the cream to the zucchini and season to taste. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Step 4. Drain the pasta al dente and add it to the zucchini sauce. If necessary, add a few tablespoons of pasta water. Serve with grated Parmigiano on top and freshly ground black pepper.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can then reheat it in a microwave or in a small pot. Add a little bit of water before you reheat, to make the sauce creamy again.
FAQ & Tips
Yes, you can make this creamy zucchini pasta vegan by using a vegetable-based cream. That's actually what I used when I made this recipe the last time. Some brands make a delicious vegan cream that is as creamy and mild as standard cream.
Of course, you can any pasta shape you like. This zucchini pasta sauce would go great with bow-ties, penne, fusilli, or any other pasta shape.
Cheese is never enough! You can add a generous amount of freshly grated Parmigiano or Pecorino cheese on top, or you can even melt other cheese types like Brie, Camembert, or Gouda in the zucchini cream sauce before adding the pasta to it.
Related recipes you might like
If you like this recipe, try also these other pasta recipes:
If you tried this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and share your thoughts in the comments. Your feedback means a lot to me! ★★★★★
Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- 6 oz Spaghetti
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 Garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup Cream
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- First, bring to boil a large pot of salted water, and in the meanwhile, chop the zucchini into matchsticks.
- In a pan, drizzle some olive oil and add the peeled and halved garlic cloves. When they start to sizzle, add the zucchini and sauté at high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the zucchini start to brown, then turn down the heat. Season with salt and black pepper.
- While the zucchini cooks, toss the pasta in the pot with boiling water and cook according to the packaging instructions.
- When the zucchini are almost ready, add the cream to the pan and season to taste. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Drain the pasta al dente and add it to the zucchini sauce. If necessary, add a few tablespoons of pasta water.
- Serve with grated Parmigiano on top and freshly ground black pepper.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.