A cute and quick little project for your weekend. All you need is a couple of materials and you can whip up a scrunchie in just 5 minutes!
feelings. A simple object can help us to experience that blast from the past instantly. Something like a retro fashion accessory. A neat and useful hair accessory perhaps?
Scrunchies were very popular some time ago, and as we all know well, fashion trends tend to come back around every few decades or so. Which means that it’s a great time to start bringing back those practical and cute scrunchies. And what better way to do that than by making them on your own? They are super easy to sew and I’ll show you how in this quick tutorial. Once you get the hang of it, you can whip up a scrunchie in just 5 minutes. You can make a dozen in different colors to match your outfits. If you want to upgrade make a scrunchie with bow or add a thin lace or a ribbon to the end seam for an extra wow!
Let’s see how you can make an easy scrunchie. This project is a quick one and as such, it doesn’t require a lot of materials.
How to make a Scrunchie
- Non-stretch Fabric
- ¼ inch Elastic
- Safety Pin
- Sewing machine optional, you can handsew the scrunchie
- Measure and cut the fabric. Your fabric needs to be cut into a 4 x 22 inches strip (or 3.5" x 18" if you are making a mini scrunchie).
- Fold the last quarter of an inch of the short edge, press it and stitch it to get a finished edge.
- Fold the strip in half lengthwise and pin the edges together, right sides on each other.
- Sew along the open edge lengthwise with a quarter inch allowance.
- Turn the tube inside out and insert the elastic. Attach a safety pin to one end of the fabric tube youjust made and pull it through the tube to flip the whole thing inside out.
- Cut the elastic down to an 8 inches long strip.
- Attach a safety pin to its one end and thread it through the tube.
- Make sure that the elastic is flat inside the tube and then sew across the overlapped elastic ends.
- Sew back and forth to reinforce the stitching and provide it with enough durability to resist stretching.
- Sew both ends of the scrunchie together by putting one of the ends through the other, open end. Position it well and make sure that nothing is twisted before you sew it together in place. Stitch across the ends you just tucked into each other.
You just got yourself a new scrunchie right there. And it only took three simple steps. Now go make yourself a second scrunchie, or a dozen!
These make a fantastic gift, so now you can make a handmade gift for your besties!
If you are looking for more handmade gift ideas, you can make this fun embroidered T-shirt, stunning crepe flower centerpiece or sew a gorgeous fabric flower and stun anyone who gets treated to receiving it.
I hope you had fun reading this tutorial article. I also hope you will enjoy wearing these cute and practical scrunchies. Make them in various colors and combine them with any clothing combination you have!
Leave a Comment