Out of all the possible vegetable combinations with which you can make a Lasagna, this one has always been my favorite. Zucchini and mushrooms are a perfect pairing. They go perfectly with white sauce, with cheese, with pasta. Just perfect.
Just like most of my recipes, this wasn’t really planned. I don’t think planning is part of the Italian cooking mind. It all starts with one or two ingredients. In this case it was a box of fresh wild mushrooms, a mix of chanterelles, oyster, cremini and enoki.
From this ingredient I started evaluating what would be the best dish to make. I was craving a piping hot dish of creamy Lasagna with a crispy crust so I quickly made the choice. The option of making a sauce for risotto, steak or pasta was also taken into consideration, but it didn’t beat the Lasagna.
Now the the dish was chosen, I had to think how to elaborate it. Do I make it only with mushrooms? Should I add another vegetable? Do I add some meat? In the end I decided to go with a classic pairing, zucchini and mushrooms, and for this time I withheld the meat.
How to make the perfect Vegetable Lasagna
I always loved making vegetable Lasagne. It’s an easy and delicious alternative to the classic recipe and I love trying different combinations of veggies. The result is always different but always yummy.
Here are a few points to take into consideration when making a vegetable lasagna:
- Choose vegetables that pair well together, without overpowering each other.
- If you choose vegetables with delicate flavors, use only a white sauce as in this recipe. Otherwise feel free to add tomato sauce.
- Add some cheese between the layers to make it a perfect comfort food.
- You can also add some protein like ham, bacon or fish to the vegetables.
- Be careful with the vegetables’ cooking times. Cook them separately or start cooking first the ones that take longer to cook.
- As a yummy alternative, make the Lasagna with roasted vegetables.
- Make the white sauce from scratch.
Check also my recipe of Classic Cannelloni, to read more about homemade white sauce, or béchamel sauce.
If you like white vegetarian Lasagne, check also my recipe for Artichoke and Mozzarella Lasagne.
White Lasagna with Mushrooms and Zucchini
For the Lasagna
- 250 g (9 oz) Lasagne sheets
- 2 Mozzarella
- 3-4 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
- 150 g (5 oz) Wild Mushrooms sliced
- 400 g (14 oz) Cremini Mushrooms chopped
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Red Wine
- 1 Zucchini cubed
- EV Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
For the White Sauce
- 30 g (2 tbsp) Butter
- 30 g (2 tbsp) Flour
- 1 lt (4 cups) Milk
- Black Pepper
Make the White Sauce
- In a large pan melt the butter at medium heat (be careful not to burn it), add the flour and whisk until it becomes a thick paste.
- After a few seconds, add the warm milk and keep whisking until the milk starts to boil. Turn the heat to low and slowly keep whisking until the roux it’s completely melted and the sauce starts to thicken.
- When the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon, season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
Cook the Vegetables
- In a large pan, drizzle some olive oil and add the garlic, the thyme and the mushrooms. Sautè for about 10 minutes, until browned.
- Add the red wine and let it evaporate, then season with salt and black pepper to taste. Add a few tablespoons of water if necessary and cook until they’re soft.
- Remove from the pan and set aside to cool down.
- In the same pan, drizzle some olive oil and add the zucchini. Sauté for a few minutes, then season with salt and black pepper and add some water to the pan.
- Cook until they become translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool down.
Assemble the Lasagna
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of white sauce on the bottom of a square baking dish with high borders.
- Add a layer of lasagne sheets, another even layer of white sauce, then spread around the vegetables and top with a few chunks of mozzarella.
- Repeat for 4-5 layers.
- On the top layer, add some more mozzarella and finish with a layer of grated Parmigian Reggiano cheese, to make the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 40 minutes.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment and give a 5 star rating! Thank you!! 🙂
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This means that if you click on a product link, I may receive compensation. This compensation comes at no additional cost to you, and as always I only recommend products I trust.