A creamy smooth sweet potato soup with the delicate sweetness of sweet potatoes, the smoky flavor of crispy bacon, and the aromatic twist of Gorgonzola cheese. This soup immediately became one of my favorite Fall soups.
I love Summer for the weather and I love Fall for the food. Pumpkins, cabbages, and sweet potatoes are in season. Plus, there is finally a good excuse to make soups and stews. You don’t have to hide anymore if you crave soup when it’s hot outside (raise your hand if this happened to you too).
I love soups but unfortunately, my boyfriend doesn’t love them so much, so I mostly make them when he’s out or when I crave them so much I don’t care what he thinks. 😀 Anyway this means I don’t eat soups as much as I would like to.
A great thing about soups though is that they freeze very well. So what I do is make a big batch and then freeze single portions in containers or sealed freezer bags so that I can thaw whenever I want and take to lunch at work (exactly what happened with this sweet potato soup). Win-win!
What pairs with sweet potatoes
I loved sweet potatoes from the first moment I tasted them and since then, I experimented with a variety of ways to use them and to pair them. I’m usually not a fan of sweet&savory so I always pair them with contrasting flavors that balance the sweetness and bring out the savoriness of the potatoes.
Since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, I like to pair them with spicy and smoky ingredients.
My favorite ingredients to pair with sweet potatoes are:
- Chili peppers
- Smoked Bacon
- Blue cheese
- Goat Cheese
- Pink peppercorns
What’s your favorite pairing with sweet potatoes?
If you like this recipe, try also these other soup recipes:
Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon and Gorgonzola
- 7 oz Carrots, peeled
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes, peeled
- 2.8 oz Smoked Bacon, cubed
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- Black Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Mild Paprika Powder
- Dried Thyme
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 3-4 tbsp Gorgonzola Cheese
- In a large pot, cook the bacon until crispy and brown. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the sliced onion and minced garlic. Let it sweat for a couple on minutes, than add the roughly chopped carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Add the paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper and dried thyme to taste. Mix well.
- Add the vegetable stock and turn the heat to low. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes on until the vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
- Blend with an immersion blender until creamy and smooth, taste and adjust the seasoning. Then transfer to the bowls and top with the crispy bacon and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
If you like this recipe, you can leave a comment and a star rating to support me. ★★★★★
Thank you so much!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This means that if you click on a product link, I may receive compensation. This compensation comes at no additional cost to you, and as always I only recommend products I trust!