This Tuscan white bean and sausage stew is a quick and easy dish that is perfect for a hearty weeknight dinner. It's made with tender white beans and savory sausage, simmered together in a fragrant tomato sauce that is infused with aromatic herbs and spices. The result is a comforting and flavorful stew that is sure to satisfy everyone at the table. Plus, with just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep work, it comes together in no time and can be enjoyed any day of the week.
This white bean and sausage stew recipe is the quicker and easier version of the traditional "Fagioli all'Uccelletta". Fagioli all'Uccelletta is a classic Italian stew that originated in Tuscany. The name "fagioli" means beans, while "uccelletta" translates to little bird. This dish is traditionally made with white cannellini beans that are simmered in a tomato-based sauce with onions, garlic, and herbs like rosemary and thyme. Sausage or pancetta is often added to the dish for extra richness and flavor.
The beans must be soaked overnight with rosemary to make them soft and flavorful, and the sauce should be simmered for hours. So to make it right it would take about 2 days.
This version of sausage and bean stew uses canned beans and a quick tomato sauce to get the same delicious flavor in a fraction of the time.
Check out more traditional Tuscan recipes.
- Sausage. Sausage will give all the flavor to the stew so pick the best quality fresh pork sausages for the best result. Tuscan sausages are usually only flavored with black pepper, but you can also use fennel or paprika spiced sausages.
- Beans. Traditionally, Cannellini or white beans are used for this stew. But you can also use kidney beans, lima beans, or pinto beans.
- Tomato Sauce. I like to use smooth tomato purèe, but you can also use canned chopped tomatoes or garlic-flavored tomato sauce (in this case skip the fresh garlic).
- Onion. Red onion is the most flavorful, but you can also use white or yellow onion. Use a small onion or half a large one.
- Herbs. Oregano and sage will give the best aroma to the stew. You can also add rosemary if you like. You can use either dried or fresh herbs.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Instructions with photos
Step 1. Drizzle a pan with olive oil and add the minced onion and garlic.
Step 2. Add the sausages, either whole or chopped. Fry for 4-5 minutes.
Step 3. Add the tomato sauce, canned beans, herbs, and season with salt and black pepper.
Step 4. Simmer for 20-30 minutes at low heat.
- Spicy - Add some chili pepper flakes to the tomato sauce for a spicier taste. You can also use spicy sausage.
- Lighter - Use turkey sausage for a lighter version.
- Vegetarian - Use a plant-based sausage or skip the sausage altogether for a quick and easy white bean stew.
- More Veggies - Add some spinach, kale, cabbage, carrots, or leeks to get some extra veggies and extra flavor to the stew.
You don't need special equipment for this Tuscan white bean and sausage stew recipe, just a pot to cook the stew.
But if you want a classic Tuscan presentation like in my photos, these are some beautiful terracotta pots and bowls you can use:
- 4 Terracotta bowls 6 inches
- Oval Terracotta Serving Dish 6 quarts
- Round Terracotta Serving Dish 4.5 quarts
- 4 Blue Terracotta bowls 8 inches
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheat on the stove or in the microwave, adding a bit of water if necessary.
💭 FAQ & Tips
Yes, you can use the traditional Cannellini or white beans but you can also make the same stew with any other type of beans, like lima beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans.
Sure, you can make this sausage and bean stew in advance and store it in the fridge until ready to serve. Reheat on the stove adding a bit of water if necessary.
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Related recipes you might like
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
If you tried this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and share your thoughts in the comments. Your feedback means a lot to me! ★★★★★
Tuscan Sausage and Beans Stew
- 1 can White Beans
- 1 can Tomato purèe
- 6 Italian Sausages, fresh
- 1 Garlic clove
- ½ Red Onion
- 1 teaspoon Sage
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Finely mince the garlic and onion and add them to a pan drizzled with olive oil.
- Poke holes in the sausage casings or chop them into large chunks and add them to the pan too. Cook for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, the herbs, and a bit of water if the sauce is too thick. Add the drained beans and season to taste.
- Simmer at low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.