If you're looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack, look no further than this Lemon Thyme Whipped Ricotta Dip. This creamy, sweet & savory dip is easy to make and can be customized with a variety of herbs, spices, and toppings to suit your tastes. Whether you're hosting a party or just looking for a tasty snack, this whipped ricotta dip will be perfect!
Not only is whipped ricotta delicious, but it's also a healthier alternative to traditional dips like ranch or cheese sauce. Ricotta cheese is lower in fat and calories than many other cheeses, and it's also a good source of protein and calcium. So if you're looking for a tasty and nutritious snack, give this whipped ricotta dip a try.
Ricotta cheese is a type of Italian cheese that is made from the whey of cow's milk. It is a soft and mild cheese that is often used in Italian cuisine. When whipped, ricotta becomes light and airy, making it perfect for spreading on bread or serving as a dip.
This whipped ricotta dip is a versatile appetizer that can be served on any occasion. It is an easy appetizer that can be prepared ahead of time and served with your favorite crackers or bread for a quick and delicious snack. With its creamy texture and flavorful taste, this lemon thyme whipped ricotta dip is sure to be a hit at any party or gathering.
To make a delicious whipped ricotta dip, you will need a few simple ingredients. The recipe is easy to follow and requires only a handful of items that you may already have in your kitchen.
- Ricotta: The main ingredient is, of course, ricotta cheese. You can use whole milk ricotta for a creamier texture or part-skim ricotta for a lighter option. Make sure to choose high-quality ricotta cheese for the best taste.
- Herbs: To add flavor to the dip, you can use a variety of herbs and spices. Fresh herbs like thyme, basil, mint, chives, and rosemary can add a burst of flavor to the dip. You can also use dried herbs if fresh ones are not available. In this recipe, I mainly use Thyme and Parsley.
- Honey: For a touch of sweetness, you can add honey to the dip. This sweet honey complements the savory flavors of the herbs and spices, making it a perfect addition to the dip.
- Olive Oil: Extra-virgin olive oil is another essential ingredient. It adds a smooth and creamy texture to the dip and enhances the flavors of the herbs and spices.
- Lemon: To make the dip even more flavorful, you can add lemon zest and juice. The lemon zest adds a bright citrus flavor, while the juice adds a tangy note that balances the sweetness of the honey.
Finally, you can serve whipped ricotta dip with your favorite crackers, fresh vegetables, or toasted bread. It also pairs well with other dips like hummus, tzatziki, whipped feta, or pesto. You can also top it with roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, cherry tomatoes, or parmesan cheese for a more elevated version.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Whipped ricotta dip is a versatile recipe that can be adapted to suit your taste preferences. Here are some variations and alternative ingredients to try:
- Herbs - Fresh herbs are an essential ingredient in whipped ricotta dip. They add flavor and aroma to the dip and make it more visually appealing. You can use a combination of herbs or just one herb depending on your taste preferences. Some popular herbs to use in whipped ricotta dip include thyme, parsley, basil, fresh thyme, mint, rosemary, and chives.
- Sweet Variations - If you have a sweet tooth, you can make a sweet version of whipped ricotta by adding more honey and replacing parsley and thyme with mint (and of course, skip the salt and pepper). It is perfect for spreading on fresh sourdough bread or serving as a dessert dip with fruit.
- Savory Variations - For a savory version, you can add pesto to the ricotta dip. Pesto adds a burst of flavor to the dip and makes it more savory. You can also add olives or sun-dried tomatoes to the dip to give it a Mediterranean twist.
📋 Instructions with Photos
Step 1. Add all the ingredients to a food processor.
Step 2. Pulse for a few seconds until the ricotta is light and airy and all the ingredients are incorporated. Season to taste.
To make whipped ricotta dip, you will need a few basic kitchen tools. Here's a list of equipment that you will need:
- Electric Mixer or Food Processor: You can use an electric mixer or a food processor to whip the ricotta cheese. If you have a stand mixer, that's a great option. A hand mixer will also work. If you don't have an electric mixer, you can use a food processor to whip the ricotta cheese.
- Serving Bowl: Choose a serving bowl that is large enough to hold the whipped ricotta dip. A shallow bowl with a wide opening is ideal for serving this dip. You can use a decorative bowl to make the presentation more appealing.
- Airtight Container: If you have any leftover whipped ricotta dip, you will need an airtight container to store it in the fridge. A glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid will work well. Make sure to label the container with the date so you can keep track of how long it has been stored in the fridge.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
Whipped ricotta dip is a versatile and delicious snack that can be served with a variety of foods. Here are some serving suggestions that you can try:
- Vegetables: Serve with fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber slices. The creamy texture of the dip pairs well with the crispness of the vegetables.
- Toast and bread: Spread the dip on toast or crusty bread for a quick and easy snack. You can also use it as a spread on sandwiches.
- Crostini: Top crostini with the whipped ricotta and your favorite toppings, such as roasted vegetables, chopped tomatoes, olives, or fresh herbs.
- Crackers: Serve whipped ricotta dip with crackers for a crunchy and creamy snack.
- Pita chips: Dip pita chips into the dip for a savory treat.
No matter how you choose to serve it, whipped ricotta dip is sure to be a hit at any party or gathering. It's a perfect addition to charcuterie boards or grazing tables too.
Whether you use store-bought ricotta or make your own ricotta, this creamy and delicious dip is sure to please.
❄️ Storage & Reheating
To keep the dip fresh, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When you are ready to use the leftover dip, take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes. This will allow the dip to soften and become creamy again.
If the dip has separated or become watery, simply give it a quick stir to incorporate the ingredients back together. You may also need to add a little more olive oil or lemon juice to help bring the dip back to its original consistency.
💭 Recipe FAQs
If you find that your whipped ricotta dip is too runny, there are a few things you can do to thicken it up. One option is to add more ricotta cheese to the mixture. Another is to use a higher-fat ricotta cheese, which will create a thicker dip. You can also try adding a bit of cornstarch to the mixture to help thicken it up.
Yes, whipped ricotta dip can be made ahead of time. In fact, it's best to make it at least an hour in advance so that the flavors have time to meld together. Simply store the dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve it.
One common mistake when making whipped ricotta dip is not using the right kind of ricotta cheese. Make sure to use a high-quality, whole-milk ricotta cheese for the best results. Another mistake is not whipping the ricotta cheese long enough, which can result in a runny dip. Be sure to beat the ricotta until it is light and fluffy.
⭐ Top tip
Be careful not to over-season the dip with too much salt, honey, or other spices. Start with a small amount and taste as you go to avoid over-seasoning.
Related recipes you might like
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
If you tried this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and share your thoughts in the comments. Your feedback means a lot to me! ★★★★★
Lemon Thyme Whipped Ricotta Dip
- 1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon , Zest and Juice (to taste)
- 2 teaspoon Thyme, fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon Parsley, fresh
- Black Pepper
- Toasted Bread and Crackers to serve
- Add the ricotta, olive oil, honey, lemon zest, and herbs to a food processor and pulse until the ricotta is light and airy.
- Add the lemon juice a bit at a time until you reach the preferred flavor, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Give it another pulse to combine until smooth and creamy.
- Alternatively, you can whip the ingredients in a medium bowl with a hand mixer or a stand up mixer.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh herbs, flaky salt or other garnishes like lemon zest or chili pepper flakes.
- Make sure to use a high-quality, whole-milk ricotta cheese for the best results.
- Be sure to beat the ricotta until it is light and fluffy.
- Be careful not to over-season the dip with too much salt or other spices. Start with a small amount and taste as you go to avoid over-seasoning.
- You can store this ricotta dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.