A delicious and decadent protein shake that tastes just like spiced hot cocoa. it has hints of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, coriander, ginger, and cayenne. For a perfect kickstart to your day!
A protein shake is a great addition to your breakfast to start the day with a good amount of energy. And if you're obsessed with chocolate as I'm, you'll love this recipe too!
It only takes a few good ingredients to make this protein shake. First, a good quality protein powder, your favorite milk, and the perfect spice mix!
- Protein Powder. A good protein powder is an essential ingredient for a good protein shake. I used Naked Nutrition Hot Cocoa Pea Protein Powder which is vegan and has a delicious hot cocoa taste. See below for more information.
- Milk. Milk can also change drastically the flavor of your shake, but feel free to use your favorite one. I tried this recipe with both coconut milk and oat milk and I love them both! Coconut milk makes the shake a bit more tropical and fresh, while oat milk makes it more creamy and decadent.
- Spices. I love spices, the more the better! I crafted this special spice mix for this recipe and it elevates the cocoa flavor to a whole different level. I used cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, coriander, and cayenne.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Naked Nutrition Hot Cocoa Protein Powder
The result is a crave-worthy hot chocolate protein powder that delivers 20g of protein and only 3g of sugar. Plus, it's vegan.
I'm very picky with protein powders and this one's taste and texture really surprised me. It makes a creamy protein shake that literally tastes like a dessert and it goes so well with all kinds of milk.
The best thing about protein shakes is to customize them into different variations.
- Coffee - give it an extra caffeine kick with the addition of an espresso shot or instant espresso powder.
- Spicy - double the amount of cayenne to make the shake extra spicy, like Mexican hot cocoa.
- Nutty - Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or your favorite nut butter.
- Coconut - Use coconut milk and add some coconut flakes to make it more tropical.
- Banana - Add one frozen or fresh banana to the blender for an extra nutritious and delicious shake.
To get a perfect protein shake, you need the right tools to mix the powder so it doesn't clump.
- NutriBullet Smoothie Blender. If you don't want a big blender taking up space on your counter, the NutriBullet is the perfect solution. It's small and powerful and perfectly blends your single-serve shake in seconds, plus it also has a travel mug included.
- Ninja Blender. If instead, you need a bigger blender that can also do more than shakes, this 72 oz blender is just perfect.
- Milk Frother. The cheapest and handiest solution. Takes up no space on your counter, and it's easy to clean. The only downside is that it takes longer to blend the shake.
FAQ & Tips
Yes, this protein shake can be made either cold or warm. Simply warm up the milk on the stove or in the microwave before blending in the protein powder.
The spices and blended directly in the shake, but if you don't have the ground spices available, you can omit them or you can grind them yourself finely using a coffee grinder.
Yes, you can make the shake in advance and then store it in the fridge in a closed container or travel mug. It may separate lightly, so just give it an extra shake before drinking.
More Breakfast Recipes you might like
If you like this recipe, you can leave a comment and a star rating to support me. ★★★★★
Thank you so much!
Spiced Cocoa Protein Shake
- 2 scoops Naked Nutrition Hot Cocoa Protein Powder
- 12 fl oz Oat Milk
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Coriander
- ¼ teaspoon Ginger
- a pinch Nutmeg
- a pinch Cayenne
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices together. Set aside.
- In a blender, add the milk, the scoops of protein powder and 1 or 2 teaspoons of the spice mix (to taste).
- Blend until smooth and serve.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post is sponsored by Naked Nutrition. All text and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Cooking my Dreams possible!